Every person dreams of looking and feeling younger than they do. It is a matter of great pride for you when people mistakenly think you are much younger than your biological age. It could be down to genetics, a good skin care regimen and a disciplined lifestyle that your visage is a youthful and radiant one.
But after your move to Dubai a few months ago, you have started noticing dullness and fine lines on your face. The lines have begun to deepen into ridges along your mouth and there is a fine webbing of lines around your eyes. You try anti-wrinkle creams and serums, to no avail. Finally, somebody recommends taking Botox injections to smoothen over the lines and wrinkles – and this is a great idea that you are willing to try.
What is Botox?
Botox is short for ‘Botulinum Toxin’. It is a substance that when injected into the human body, blocks certain signals from reaching the nerves. These signals cause the muscles to contract, thus when the signals are blocked, the muscles cannot contract and the overlying skin cannot develop lines or ridges that develop into wrinkles. Botox injections are most popularly used as an anti-wrinkle treatment in Dubai and the rest of the world.
What is it used for?
Botox injections were primarily used in medicine, to treat several muscular and nervous disorders. The earliest applications of these injections were in alleviating pain and twitching in the muscles and nerves of the body. Even today, Botox injections are recommended to ease the signs and symptoms of disorders like:
- Lazy eye (An imbalance in a part of the muscles that position the eyeball can cause the eyelid to either not blink in tandem with the other, or function slowly)
- Involuntary muscle contractions that can cause minor irritations like twitching eyelids or major problems like atrophy due to conditions like Cerebral Palsy
- Excessive sweating
- Bladder dysfunction
- Involuntary neck muscle contractions that cause the head to flop around or twist awkwardly, causing pain and cramps
As mentioned earlier, most people opting for Botox injections in Dubai and other parts of the world, want smooth, unlined skin. Proper use of Botox injections can reduce the appearance of fine lines on the face, wrinkles and ridges, and also crow’s feet around the eyes.
Are there any side effects?
When administered properly with a skilful hand and using the best product, it is the best wrinkles treatment in Dubai and the UAE. You will feel some mild stinging while the chemical makes its way into your skin, but no discomfort after a few minutes. But when not administered properly, there may be some potential side effects such as:
- Swelling or bruising at the site of injection
- Slight fever
- Headache that increases in intensity over a few hours
- Dryness in the eyes or excessive tear formation
- Lopsided smile
Some people experience other alarming symptoms when the Botox spreads to other areas of the face and/or seeps into adjoining muscles. These signs are:
- Weakness in facial or neck muscles
- Trouble seeing clearly or cloudy vision
- Trouble breathing
- Trouble swallowing or speaking
If these latter symptoms occur, you must contact both your dermatologist and GP at once.
Usually, Botox injections are not recommended from a medical standpoint or as an anti-wrinkle treatment for pregnant or breastfeeding women. It is also not recommended if you have existing skin conditions like eczema, edema or psoriasis. If you notice any persistent symptoms or increase in pain or swelling, you must alert your doctor at once.
Are you a good candidate for it?
Your dermatologist can study your skin and health history, and address your concerns by recommending either a round of Botox injections or another method to remedy your lined and wrinkled skin. There are a variety of skin rejuvenation techniques being practiced in premium skin care clinics in Dubai – these use the body’s own defences and healing systems to recharge cellular activity, boost the production of collagen in the skin, and increase supply of oxygenated blood to the skin.
As mentioned earlier, you cannot take Botox injections if you have pre-existing skin conditions, or have cut and broken skin, or are currently pregnant and breastfeeding. Let your doctor run some blood work and check your health history in detail before taking a final call on whether this is a good anti-wrinkle treatment for you.
What you can expect from the shots
- The injections are given quickly and are relatively painless. You will not feel any discomfort even 30 minutes after the procedure.
- The Botox’s smoothening effect can be seen in three or four days after the shots are given. The skin looks refreshed, taut and unlined.
- The effects of the Botox anti-wrinkle treatment last up to six months, but this depends largely on your body chemistry and how you care for the treated areas. Rubbing or massaging excessively may cause the Botox to shift to other areas of the face and give a lopsided appearance.
- The doctor will teach you some gentle face stretching exercises to let the Botox settle properly an hour after the procedure. Do these for a week for up to 5 minutes a day.
- If there is swelling, you can apply an ice pack on the injected areas but do not press the pack hard.
- Gently wipe away any blood at the site of injection but do not apply any cream or antiseptic unless the doctor advises you to.
- It is better to not apply any skin serums or creams on the treated areas for at least a fortnight after the procedure.
Aging is a natural process that cannot be stopped. But there is no reason why it should leave its signs on your skin before you are prepared for it. Taking Botox injections regularly to keep your skin unlined and fresh is a good solution.