The skin is the mirror to our internal health. Glowing, unlined and clear skin speaks volumes about its internal health and hydration. It is also an indicator of youth and good nutrition. On the other hand, your skin might develop patches of dullness and discoloration, especially after you moved to Dubai. It has a lot to do with the change in environment and the high amount of strong sunlight in the city. It is called ‘pigmentation’ and it is a reversible problem – let’s find out more in this article.
What is skin pigmentation?
The patches of discoloration on your skin are a result of an internal process known as ‘pigmentation’. It happens when the skin is exposed to immoderate amounts of sunlight. With increased UV penetration, the skin produces more amounts of melanin to absorb the excess sunlight and protect the skin from scarring or its DNA from being altered. Pigmentation is a key process that prevents skin cancer from occurring.
As a result, the skin begins to tan as melanin production is increased. However, the darkening is more concentrated in certain parts of the skin where the concentration of melanin is higher. This results in patchy areas of the skin. The problem arises not just with overexposure to the sunlight, but also with aging, ingesting certain antibiotics, underlying medical conditions causing a change in cellular structure, etc. If you are unsure about the cause and have noticed patches of discolouration on your skin, it might be time to consult a dermatologist for skin pigmentation treatment in Dubai.
What is skin pigmentation treatment?
As the name suggests, it is treatment designed to reverse and reduce the effects of skin pigmentation. It must be administered by an experienced dermatologist to be effective, after studying the skin, your lifestyle and diet, age, whether you are on any medication, and so on.
- The best dermatologists in Dubai have devised skin pigmentation treatments that both control the damage to the skin, and reverse it.
- This strategic approach uses laser technologies in combination with advanced peels. The treatment also uses skin care products that help in correcting problems at the skin cellular level.
- The skin pigmentation treatment works at the dermis level to correct the disproportion in melanin deposits. The laser technology breaks up the excess melanin so that the skin can drain it away and help it get eliminated by the body’s lymphatic systems.
- After this, chemical peels refine the skin’s surface by removing accumulated dead skin cells and other debris. This prompts the production of new cells that help in skin clarity, breaking down the discoloration and activating the creation of collagen. This stage marks the renewal of the skin.
- The peels also reduce tanning brought on by the strong sunlight in Dubai, revive the flagging skin cells and reverse the signs of mild hyperpigmentation.
Once treatment has been done…
Once the doctor administers the skin pigmentation treatment, you can look forward to an even skin tone and a newfound radiance. The skin looks fresher and brighter once the procedure is completed, and the signs of patchiness are almost completely eliminated in a few days. However, this is not to say that the pigmentation will never return. It is important to maintain the efficacy of the procedure with a few simple measures:
- Always wear sunscreen lotion with an SPF of 30 or more. Sunscreen lotion acts as a barrier between the UV rays and your skin, so that as little as possible of the former is absorbed by the latter. But you must slather on a fresh layer every three hours for it to be effective.
- Protect the treated area with a hat, if the pigmentation was on the face, or with light cotton clothing if it was anywhere on the body.
- Hydrate your skin by drinking as much water as you can all day. Sip on green tea, buttermilk, water infused with lemon or plain fruit juice to increase your hydration levels.
- Use a doctor-recommended moisturiser and toner on the treated areas of the skin. Be sure to follow a daily cleansing and moisturising routine to keep the skin in prime condition for repair and renewal.