Infertility is the condition wherein a couple is unable to conceive even after 12 months of unprotected intercourse. It is a major growing concern among couples. According to the World Health Organization, an estimated 186 million men and women suffer from infertility worldwide. Source: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/infertility
Several factors including age, sexual history, weight, lifestyle, smoking and drinking habits, medical history etc. affect the reproductive system of men and women.
Causes of infertility
Infertility in women can be caused due to the following reasons:
- Disorders in fallopian tube such as blocked tubes
- Uterine disorders such as endometriosis, fibroids
- Ovary and follicle related disorders such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Disorders of the endocrine system, such as hormonal imbalances
Some of the causes of male infertility are:
- Hormonal abnormalities hampering the production of semen
- Testicular disorders adversely affecting sperm producing cells
- Ejaculatory disorders due to obstruction in tracts carrying semen, i.e., ejaculatory ducts and seminal vesicles
- Low sperm count
- Abnormalities related to the shape and quality of the sperm
Options for infertility treatment
Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) is a medical treatment to solve fertility issues in men and women. ART addresses the problem of infertility through procedures on women’s eggs and man’s sperms. There are several infertility treatments available in ART.
- In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF) – In this process, the egg and sperms are obtained from the couple and fertilized in the lab. Subsequently, the growing embryo is implanted in the woman’s uterus for the pregnancy.
- Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) – This infertility treatment is a form of artificial insemination wherein healthy sperms are directly placed in the uterus during the period of ovulation. This enhances the chances of the fertilization of egg and the subsequent pregnancy.
- Intra-Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) – ICSI is a specialized version of IVF technique wherein a single healthy sperm is chosen and injected directly into a matured egg. After the fertilization, the embryo is transferred to the woman’s womb.
- Surgical Treatments – Surgical interventions like tubal surgery and tubal ligation reversal can resolve issues in the fallopian tube. Laparoscopy is an operative procedure to view the external region of pelvis, whereas hysteroscopy is used to look inside the uterine cavity. This enables the diagnosis and the treatment of reproductive issues causing infertility in women.
- Hormonal Therapy – This infertility treatment involves the intake of fertility drugs which act as natural hormones and stimulate ovulation. It is an ideal procedure for women experiencing ovulation disorders.
- Surgical Procedures – Surgery is usually performed to fix conditions such as swollen veins, blockage of vas deferens and ejaculatory ducts. Through surgery, vasectomy can be reversed and if sperms are absent in the ejaculate, they can be retrieved from testicles.
- Non-Surgical Procedures – This form of infertility treatment uses medication to fix hormonal imbalances, ejaculation problems, and urinary tract infection which affects fertility.
Besides, the infertility treatments of ART can help in conceiving when it comes to male infertility.
These infertility treatments have made it possible for couples to realise their dreams of parenthood. With the availability of state-of-the-art facilities and advanced technologies, infertility treatment in Bangalore is an excellent option for couples trying to conceive. Specialised doctors and experienced medical personnel can offer effective infertility treatments in Bangalore in a diverse range of cases.