According to the news posted by Bangalore Mirror in September 2021, the Karnataka Health Department has witnessed several children falling sick with the flu virus in 12 districts of the state, including Bangalore. The affected children showed signs of breathing trouble, fever, cold and cough. No covid-positive cases were detected.
So, even besides COVID-19, be on a lookout for signs of other health conditions of children. Whenever your child falls sick with any condition, consider taking him/her to a reputed children’s hospital in Bangalore like Apollo Hospital right away for optimal treatment. Here are three cases when parents should consult a child specialist in Bangalore.
Almost all kids are down with fever at some point. However, when your child shows the following signs, he/she needs a checkup by a specialist:
- Your kid is less than 3 months old and has a temperature of 100.4°F or higher.
- He/she is 3-6 months old with a fever of 101°F or higher.
- He/she is 2 years or older and feverish for over 3 days.
- He/she is of any age and recurrently has a fever above 104°F which lasts longer than 24 hours.
- Other symptoms include severe ear pain, sore throat and headache, stiff neck, repeated diarrhoea or vomiting, or an unexplained rash.
- Your child becomes very fussy, unusually drowsy or very ill.
- There are symptoms of dehydration like inability to take in fluids, a dry mouth, fewer wet diapers, a sunken soft spot.
- Your kid has immune system conditions like sickle cell disease.
- He/she has had a seizure.
- He/she still looks ill after the fever is brought down.
This is another reason which calls for a consultation with a child specialist in Bangalore. Common signs of ear infection include:
- Ear pain
- Pulling/tugging at any ear
- A discharge of pus, blood or other fluid
- A fever of 100°F or higher
- Crying too much, irritable or sleepless after an upper respiratory infection like a cold
- Symptoms lasting for more than 1 day
The symptoms usually get better in the first few days and go away within 1-2 weeks. However, if your kid is younger than 6 months and shows signs of an ear infection, you need not wait to contact the child specialist.
A rash can occur in various forms from different causes. If the rash does not bother your kid, you may not worry. However, visit the child specialist right away if the rash is persistent and shows the following symptom:
- Comes with a fever
- Weeps or oozes
- Is bubbly or blistery
- Appears like a target or bull’s eye
- A swollen face with swollen bumps on the skin and difficulty breathing
- A rash on a kid who appears sick and is not behaving like himself/herself
Since prevention is better than cure, it’s best to take your child to a child specialist at a trusted hospital like Apollo Hospital in Bangalore for regular full-body pediatric checkup and test. Early detection of any health concern allows its early treatment. Kids and adolescents between 4 and 21 years of age require such a wellness checkup every year.